" a piss ant blog" -Rikimaru


"Dethtron, you are...an asshole" - 38% of Dick Move Readers


" I probably won't read unless I'm bored as shit at work" - A. Hack



"I cannot bring myself to actually read this drivel"- anonymous

"pox riddled post coital stain of a blog"- anonymous



Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Help a Brother Out!


Sorry, it's been a bit quiet over here the last few days. I wish I had some awesome excuse, but the truth is that I've been a bit lazy and have been desperately trying to make heads or tails of the new Blood Angels codex. It looks fun, don't get me wrong, but it contains a mind-numbing variety of options and plays a lot differently than the Dark Angels that I (unfortunately) have some experience with.


Speaking of Dark Angels, I'm embarking on a project to use those models again. This project will involve:

  1. Dipping them headfirst into a vat of simple green while cackling like a mad scientist.
  2. Repainting them Red
  3. Buying them some new friends

Problem is, as I explained earlier, I don't know what to make of the new fucking book. I know I like it, but I'm at a loss as to what my BA list is going to look like. I want to develop a list that scales at 1750 and 2000 points levels. The only thing that I do know is that I want run 6 Predators. This will most likely be 3x Dakka Predators and 3x Flamestorm/HB Baals. Beyond that I'm at a loss. Well, actually, I'm at a loss even within that. I'm pretty set on the Baals, but still undecided as to whether Lascannons are needed on the other Predators. That will depend largely on how my troops shake out, I suppose.

So what does the rest look like? Been debating the troops selection with a friend over Google talk, but we are sort of undecided on what compliments the Predator Blitzkrieg best. I think we'll see a lot of internet Zombies out there trying to do this list with Lasplas Razorbacks, but I feel like that's somewhat gimping. You're paying extra for a fast vehicle, but taking a weapons config that punishes you for moving. I understand that the extra gun makes it harder to kill, but I don't like the reduction in firepower. I have a feeling that vanilla marines and spacewolves (especially SW) can do this army better. I'm not completely against Razorbacks in my list, but I think that TL heavy Flamer or TL Lascannon would be best.

Well then, if it's not Razorbacks, what then? I'm sort of liking the potential alphastrike of 6 fast heavy tanks paired with Melta toting jump squads or drop pods. Rhinos full of melta toting assault marines seem like a good Idea as well. At least everything would arrive at the same time there. ...and fuck, that doesn't even cover HQ. What the hell am I going to do?

Help....

6 comments:

Dverning said...

Well, with 3x Dakka Preds and 3x Flamestorm Preds... do you really need Flamer Razorbacks? You've got a core with a crap ton of anti-horde and decent anti-APC. Where you're lacking is tank popping.

Personally, I'd forget about the shiny HQs... they cost too much. I'd take a couple Librarians with Shield of Sanguinus and Blood Lance. SoS will protect your line as you advance and Blood Lance will pop tanks.

But you still need more anti-tank. I wouldn't rely on Deep Striking Assault squads without some Scouts or other Drop elements to really maximize effect and minimize scatter. I think you need to accept you're doing a mech theme and run with it. I'd probably run a 50/50 split or so of 5-man packless Assault Squads in Twin-Las Razorbacks and 10-man packless Assault Squads in Rhinos.

It does suck that your main anti-tank and Scoring are rolled into the same units... but I think that's a limitation of eating all your FA and HS slots with the style of Preds you want.

Eh. That's my ten cents. Maybe it will help...

Chumbalaya said...

I prefer the TLAC to Flamestorm, just because it doesn't need to get into melta range (so much for AV13) to be effective.

If you run lots of Preds, remember you may run into problems getting LoS with your sponsons. I like the AC/LC as a dakka platform, cheap shots with range and versatility. TLLC/HB is an option to, but it ends up more like a Razorback with the option to blast infantry.

Las/plas Razors work nicely as fast vehicles because they can go 12" and shoot 1 gun or 6" and both.

A mob of Assault Squads with FNP complement your Preds too since both are effected by similar weapons (high S). They also block LoS a lot less than more tanks.

You've got tons of options, I suggest just proxying shit and seeing what you like.

TheKing Elessar said...

I suggest proxying, and reading my blog regularly for the next 2 weeks! ;)

I (sadly) think that AC/LC will be the base config for HS Predators though.

Lauby said...

Been wondering many of the same things myself, as the aforementioned friend (the secret is out!).

Actually kind of hilarious that we've both got boners over 6 preds. We should touch weeners.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e180/e_lee16/8420Weiner20Dog1.jpg

Though I'm having trouble thinking outside the full on dakka box with all 6 preds.

I'm definitely feeling the vibe on the lazorbacks with HK missiles myself. I think playing the BA as a bit defensive with some latent mobility and late game objective zooming could be cool.

really looking forward to the next two weeks of Mind War. PS: glad you're back.

Dethtron said...

@chumbalaya- my inclination is to want to move the razorbacks 12" all the time w/o sacrificing firepower. that's why I feel the need for TL lascannons over las/plas. Althouh if HK missiles were added, I think I'd be back on the Las/plas tip.

TheKing Elessar said...

:D Thanks!