" a piss ant blog" -Rikimaru


"Dethtron, you are...an asshole" - 38% of Dick Move Readers


" I probably won't read unless I'm bored as shit at work" - A. Hack



"I cannot bring myself to actually read this drivel"- anonymous

"pox riddled post coital stain of a blog"- anonymous



Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fang Island

Just got back from an awesome show. Well, by awesome I mean I paid $25 to see the opening band play a 30 minute set and then left out of sheer boredom during the 2nd* of 3 bands' sets. Tonight was Dr. Girlfriend's birthday, so we hit the town in style to go see one of her, and Andrew W.K.'s, favorite new bands, Fang Island. With roots in Providence, Rhode Island, they've been kicking around since 2006. Their first full length and self titled album was released in February 2010 on the heels of 2 EPs in the years prior (one of which I now own and is signed with a happy birthday message to the girlfriend...the guys were all super cool, and I think I was next to their bassist's grandparents during the show).

In trying to describe this band's sound, I keep coming back to comparisons to Akron/Family (could not for the life of me find a studio version of that song, but you should buy the album, it's great) and Animal collective with oddly metal undertones. So they're kind of like indie rock metal. Sounds awful, but somehow it works. Great guitar virtuosity and riffs that would make a lot of "face melting" guitarists jealous drive their songs and are backed by 4 of the 5 members periodically singing chorus style vocals. Most of the songs launch into instrumental passages that breezily fly through a number of styles, tempos, and time signatures with a natural ease. These guy have some talent, that's for damn sure.

Here's "Daisy" from their self titled album. For some reason they added an extra minute of nothing happening to the video mix, so just go ahead and skip to about 1:15 in. I won't judge you for it.




Their 2nd video from the same album is "Life Coach." This is the song on the album that most reminds me of Animal Collective, but not in a ripoff kind of way. It's a little "lighter" as well, but if you listen closely, there's some pretty heavy palm muted guitar in there.






===============================================================
*This was a band from Boston named Caspian. Super boring derivative garbage with no stage presence. I know they keep coming up a lot over here, but they really thought they were Sigur Ros or God Speed You! Black Emperor. Too bad they sucked. I wanted to like them, but left 3 (obnoxiously long and boring) songs in. The 3rd band was the Red Sparrows, who I checked out a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that it would end up as the same bullshit as Caspian.


Hey you made it this far. Here's another Animal Collective video, because they're awesome. Reminds me a bit of when the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson started doing A LOT of acid during the making of "Pet Sounds."

4 comments:

The CPT said...

Never heard of Caspian, but Red Sparowes (actual spelling) are actually a pretty decent post-rock band with their third release out now*. Not sure if this is the same "Red Sparrows" you saw.

The best way I can describe them is 'industrial Explosions in the Sky' along the lines of Isis or Pelican.

*I bought the new album, but haven't listened yet, so if it's crap, then I expect your conclusion would be accurate. Their first two albums were pretty good though. I have not seen this band in person because I live in Buttfuck, Nowhere, USA.

TheKing Elessar said...

Baffling Brilliance - TKE Magazine

Dethtron said...

CPT- your spelling is ineed correct. The venue had their name listed wrong...it happens. I admit that I would like to have seen their set, but Caspian was too much to sit through and the RSs didn't go on until 11:00. That didn't work to well for the GF as she had to be up for work at 4:00 the next morning. I'll give them another listen in your honor.

TKE Magazine...is that like NME?

TheKing Elessar said...

Yup, that's what I was goin for.

Protab: - pretty self explanatory, tbh...