- Going to a job interview in about an hour. A google search of the company yielded lots of warnings about how horrible they are to work for and how it may be a scam. This should be interesting but good interviewing practice for...
- Found a job posting through school for a company that I am actually interested in and a position that is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I also know one of the VPs there and am completely qualified for the position. Looking good.
- Been asked to apply for a position with, ironically, the company I was laid off from. Not an ideal proposition, as I'm trying to get out of that line of work, but it's good to have a plan B.
- Saw Inception* last night. It was pretty damn good and a refreshing change of pace from the shit that normally comes out in the summer.
- Got in a game of 40k with my nids against my buddy Evan.
- I won that game
- I got a new snare drum. The Pork Pie percussion Big Black is pretty amazing for the price and stacked up very favorably to the Ludwig Supraphonic Black Beauty.
- My old Premier snare drum broke. It was manufactured in the UK. They no longer distribute to the US directly. Apparently the UK has terrible customer service across the board (see also my various rants about Forge World). I have emailed them 3 times including a part number and pictures of the broken piece (a lug that should cost less than $10 but is rendering the entire drum unplayable) and have not yet received a reply. I have the Massacres Farewell show next weekend and will be hitting the studio to record an EP with my new band, Crusader, in September. This all requires an operable snare drum.
- ....and then my basement flooded. In spite of all of the gear (2 of my drum kits- but not my really nice ones, a PA system, and two amps) that was out, nothing was damaged that I am yet aware of. Cleaning up everything was a bitch though and quite nerve wracking. I also lost ALLof my Battletech books and maps as they were on a plastic shelf that apparently tipped over when it started floating. Looks like I won't be playing battletech any time soon**. Some Tau also received a bath in the incident, but they aren't painted yet, so fuck 'em.
*One gripe though regarding Christopher Nolan. It seems like whenever he writes for himself he winds up, I don't know, not exactly blatantly plagiarizing other artists, but at least producing highly derivative works. Memento? Yeah I liked that better when it was called the Winter Sleepers several years earlier. Inception could have been any PK Dick novel. I know this has come up here a lot lately, but it's very true in this case. For a while one of the top google searches regarding the movie was "what PK Dick novel was Inception based on." I also came away from it perplexed by a few things like: why do people say the plot was confusing- it was complicated but not too bad? There were also a few pretty blatant plot holes and continuity issues throughout the movie. Well it had a good ending though, which is more than I can say for stupid Crazy Heart. If you liked the Wrestler but wished it had a happy ending or if you hate movies, rent Crazy Heart.
**If you would like to make a donation to the Dick Move Institute of Robot Fighting Technology, please let me know.I