" a piss ant blog" -Rikimaru


"Dethtron, you are...an asshole" - 38% of Dick Move Readers


" I probably won't read unless I'm bored as shit at work" - A. Hack



"I cannot bring myself to actually read this drivel"- anonymous

"pox riddled post coital stain of a blog"- anonymous



Friday, July 23, 2010

Male Bonding

I haven't done an album review in a little while.  Truth be told, I haven't been listening to a lot of new music lately.  I recently got the new hyper-limited edition Michael Gira album/DVD whose proceeds go to support the recording of the first SWANS (my all time favorite band ever in all of ever) album due out next year.  It's a solo acoustic album with pretty strict pleas against copyright violation that I will heed- sorry if that piqued your interest.   It also doesn't help that my album rotation while painting Elysians has been a little bit eclectic to say the least.  It has included all of the following:

  1. Gustav Mahler Symphony no. 2
  2. Scott Walker- Scott 4
  3. France Gall- Greatest hits anthology
  4. Dave Dee, Doz.... aww fuck I can't remember the rest- Singles
  5. Sheep on Drugs- Crime Time
  6. Male Bonding- Nothing Hurts
Well of at list only Male Bonding is a recent band, so I'll talk them up a little bit.  Hailing from London England, they are technically considered a punk rock group.  Their first album, "Nothing Hurts," released in 2010 on SubPop records should be a pretty good indication of their sound- a little bit indie rock and a little bit punk rock.

The band seems to be floating around in obscurity a little bit, so not much has been written about them.   It's pretty good stuff, other than slipping into moments of trying to be too much like Vampire Weekend and blending afro pop guitar hooks into songs unnecessarily.  Given the fact that I've already linked to a million different things and have just hit the Burgundy a little hard, I'll just let a few songs speak for themselves.  I think you'll like them.







1 comment:

jcroxford said...

Swans - "Failure" Is the greatest thing ever!!!!